I’ve been working in professional kitchens for 25+ years
In that time, I’ve learned a lot about food waste and how to avoid it. The restaurant industry is a nickel and dime business. The cost of waste adds up quickly. We try to do whatever we can to save costs, but not only that, to save food. There are millions, if not billions of people in the world who don’t have enough to eat and it’s reckless, irresponsible, and just downright mean, to throw away food.
I’ve put together a quick post here on some simple ways to re-purpose scraps and food that might not be super fresh, but still good. Also some items you might not have thought were usable at all!
1. Save bones for chicken, beef, or fish stock
2. Bake carrot peels into chips, or make carrot pesto
3. Freeze veg scraps for veggie broth or stock
4. Cook spinach (link to spinach w/ lemon and garlic recipe, posts on 11/30)
6. Natural Dyes for Easter eggs
7. Turn leftovers into a new meal (tacos, stir fry, casseroles, chicken salad, soup)
8. Save old bread for croutons or breadcrumbs – old flat breads such as pita or tortillas can be baked, fried, or air fried, into chips
9. Turn leftover rice into fried rice
10. Turn overripe brown avocado into flourless and fudgy avocado brownies
Remember, when you cook from scratch you know exactly what is going into your body. Have a happy and healthful life!
~Thanks for reading